• 9 - Sitemap
  • Press ALT + Access Key, then ENTER.

Close

Alexandrite

Tsarstone collectors guide

Alexandrite guide forums

Page 1 of 1 10 results per page
Sort by: Most recent last
Hello all. My mother has an Alexandrite ring she may wish to sell. The stone is is approximately 15mm in diameter as it is a circular cut. It was informally looked at in 1975 by a gemologist who was familiar with Alexandrites. The individual believed it came from the Russian mine in the Ural Mountains and assessed it at $10000.
What steps should we take (and with whom) to have it certified/evaluated, etc.? Thank you.
Hi Tracy,

It is unlikely that you have Russian alexandrite. Besides, experts in late 19th century antique jewelry acknowledge strong color resemblances between Brazilian and Russian alexandrites, but the Russian stones are said to be slightly darker and less clean than their Brazilian cousins. There are many gemologists that can distinguish between natural and synthetic alexandrites, but few have ever had the opportunity to study any Russian stones.

The retail replacement cost for a 1ct. alexandrite could be anywhere between $500 to $12,000 per carat. Russian origins of the stone won't really play any role in the pricing, because the intensity of the color change and the attractiveness of the colors are the most important factors in determining the value of an alexandrite gemstone.

Anyway, your first and most most important step is to get identification certificate for your alexandrite from the reputable gemological laboratory. After you ensure that your alexandrite is natural, you can appraise your ring. Your best choice is a professional appraiser from a major appraisal organizations, with standards of education and codes of ethics. Contact The American Society of Appraisers

• Default avator
  • drew
  • Forum author
QUOTE (in "My mother has an Alexandrite ring she may wish to sell" by Dominica Lachance on May 25 2010, 07:18 AM)
Hi Tracy,

It is unlikely that you have Russian alexandrite. Besides, experts in late 19th century antique jewelry acknowledge strong color resemblances between Brazilian and Russian alexandrites, but the Russian stones are said to be slightly darker and less clean than their Brazilian cousins. There are many gemologists that can distinguish between natural and synthetic alexandrites, but few have ever had the opportunity to study any Russian stones.

The retail replacement cost for a 1ct. alexandrite could be anywhere between $500 to $12,000 per carat. Russian origins of the stone won't really play any role in the pricing, because the intensity of the color change and the attractiveness of the colors are the most important factors in determining the value of an alexandrite gemstone.

Anyway, your first and most most important step is to get identification certificate for your alexandrite from the reputable gemological laboratory. After you ensure that your alexandrite is natural, you can appraise your ring. Your best choice is a professional appraiser from a major appraisal organizations, with standards of education and codes of ethics. Contact The American Society of Appraisers

I am very sad to say that i am going to sell my aleandrite ring. The stone is from multicolur. It is a 1.05 ct. The ring is white gold with .32ct diamonds in the setting. I have all the paperwork and pictures.It would make a great christmas present. I have over $4,000 invested. You can email me at
spencerd150@gmail.com
Thanks
Drew
Topic page 1 of 1
See options details