• 8 - About Alexandrite Guide
  • 9 - Sitemap
  • Press ALT + Access Key, then ENTER.

Close

Alexandrite

Tsarstone collectors guide

Alexandrite guide forums

Page 1 of 1 10 results per page
QUOTE (in "My grandmothers alexandrite favorite ring" by imp on Oct 17 2007, 09:29 PM)
How can I find out who and where this stones could be appraised with accuracy. Can some one guide me? I do have photographs. Thank you! Grazie! Merci!
In USA, you can contact any of the following organisations:

1. The National Association of Jewelry Appraisers
http://www.najaappraisers.com/

2. The International Society of Appraisers
http://www.isa-appraisers.org/

3. The American Society of Appraisers
http://www.appraisers.org/
Many of alexandrite were sold to tourists in Egypt, Alexandria (alexandrite is not mined in Alexandria), after the Second World War. We receive many inquiries about these old and now inherited alexandrites bought by an aunt or a grandmother in Egypt or someplace else and almost all of them are synthetic alexandrite like corundum. And 80 years ago there were no natural alexandrites coming from Russia ( USSR at the time), although some un mounted stones or jewels were still available from the Russian emigre and they were not cheap.

Anyway, before appraising your alexandrites, you need to make sure if they are natural gemstones. I recommend you to contact your local gemological lab and ask them for the identification report. It will cost 100-200 USD, but it will confirm if you have natural alexandrites and it will also state weight, clarity and colour of the stones. Then you can post this information, for example on this forum, and will get pretty accurate estimate what they worth.

Finally, I will not recommend posting photos, because it's almost impossible to estimate value of the gemstone only from the picture. Besides, I doubt that you can make professional picture, since alexandrite is the hardest stone to photograph.
  • Default avator
  • imp
  • Forum author
I have been proudly wearing my grandmothers favorite ring for over 20 years without going beyond its immense sentimental value (I also have her same 1st name). I know that my grandfather had bought the stones for her (I also have an unmounted one) over 80 years ago. I always heard that the stones came from Russia... but might have been bought in Egypt...

Last year, I misplaced the ring and felt torn for days. It reappeared. Since then I have been keeping it very close, and, recently, I started reading and researching the stone and its history. I went to various jewellers both in Italy and Canada but no one could appraise it. I was repeatedly told: "It looks very precious but we do not deal this type of gems". They are beautiful and quite large stones (I measured the mounted one at 1.4cm in diameter and 0.7cm in height and the unmounted one at 1.1cm x 0.7cm) and they change color so delicately...

In available light they look a little like light amethysts with a touch of aquamarine greenish blue and under artificial light they warm up to a fiery violet-red. The smaller, unmounted one, becomes more reddish that the large one, it sometimes almost looks like a purpulish ruby. How can I find out who and where this stones could be appraised with accuracy. Can some one guide me? I do have photographs.

Thank you! Grazie! Merci!
Topic page 1 of 1
See options details